- 1 cup chopped mixed dried fruit
- 1/2 cup (2 oz. / 56 g) chopped nuts
- 3 tablespoons (1.5 oz. / 42 g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup (50 g) sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup wholemeal plain flour
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 tin cream of tomato soup
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
Preheat the oven to 170C.
Cream the butter, then add the sugar and blend well.
Sift flours and spices in a bowl.
Open the soup tin, place it in a bowl, add the bicarbonate of soda and stir. The mixture will bubble up.
Add some of the soup to the butter and sugar, then some of the flours, stirring after each addition. Repeat until all the soup and all the flours have been added. Finally, stir in the dried fruit and nuts.
Spoon batter into a 1lb loaf tin lined with parchment paper or greased. Bake until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean ( about 75 minutes).
Place loaf tin on a rack to cool slightly, then remove the cake from the tin and place it on the rack to cool. Slice and eat!