Not pizza, this recipe appears to originate from the Southern US and is a characteristic summer dish. I had a glut of ripe tomatoes in the fridge and needed something to do with them. A very tasty dish which I have eaten hot and cold. I have seen variations using caramelised onions, different cheeses and mustard mayonnaise.
- 2 – 3 fresh Tomatoes, roughly chopped.
- 8 fresh Basil leaves, finely chopped.
- 1/2 cup Spring Onion, or other onion, chopped.
- 1 Pre-Baked Pie Crust, 9 inch.
- 1 cup of grated Cheddar Cheese.
- 1 cup of grated Mozzarella Cheese.
- 1/2 cup of Mayonnaise.
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
Slice and chop the basil and the onion and set aside. Then slice and cube the tomatoes, place in colander to drain and sprinkle with black pepper and salt, stir and let continue to drain
In a separate mixing bowl, add the cheeses and mayonnaise, stir until combined, set aside.
To assemble the pie, place chopped onions in bottom of crust and sprinkle with the chopped Basil, add the drained tomatoes, spread around evenly in crust. Top with the cheese mixture.
Bake at 350º for about 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack. Best served warm.