I tried a version of this the other day and decided I had to try and make it. This is a recipe I made up with a little help from the person who introduced it to me . The nearest ‘official’ version is Khowse, a chicken and coconut and noodle soup.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 500g diced chicken breast
- 1 clove of garlic
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2cm ginger finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- Half a block of creamed coconut dissolved in about 150ml of boiling water
- About 2 tbspn chopped fresh coriander leaf
- 200g spaghetti for 4 servings
Put the spaghetti on to cook and while it is cooking, in a large pan, saute the onion in a little olive oil. Add the chicken and garlic and continue to cook. When the chicken is nearly cooked add the chilli, ginger and seasoning and continue to stir occasionally. Add the coconut cream. When the chicken is cooked through add the coriander, stir through the cooked spaghetti and serve.
I added chopped asparagus spears as they are in season.
Sprinkle with grated coconut before serving.
As this is like a version of Khowse, the perfect accompaniments would be onions, sambals and fried samosa pastry.