This recipe for banana bread seems to avoid the soapy flavour I have often ended up with. The recipe uses soured cream but works just as well with crème fraiche and I expect it would also work with natural yoghurt.
- 3 medium to large ripe bananas
- 110g margarine or butter
- 225g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 285g plain flour
- 5ml tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 5ml tsp salt
- 5ml tsp vanilla extract (or essence)
- 60ml soured cream
- 55 – 110g chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (fan oven) and grease and base line a 1kg loaf tin.
- Mash the bananas.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, then beat in the eggs.
- Sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt and stir into the wet mixture.
- Add the vanilla extract, soured cream and walnuts.
- Spoon evenly into the loaf tin.
- Cook for 60 minutes.
I threw the wet ingredients into a food processor and processed until mixed. Then added the dry, adding the chopped walnuts right at the end so as not to completely obliterate them!